In the event of a theft, please notify Steve Turner at email@example.com.
There is a broad market for stolen heavy equipment. Generally speaking, law enforcement has little success in apprehending those involved in these crimes.
Listed below are some suggestions to limit loss.
- Tracking devices are a good option although they generally work on cellphone technology which can be defeated with jammer devices that are available on the internet.
- Hidden secondary starter switches are a good option as potential thieves may not have the time to look for these switches.
- Most companies have their logos and phone numbers on their equipment. Another option is to have an emergency contact number on the machine for a police officer to call to confirm the activity equipment being moved.
- In the past years, there have been a few cases of professionally re-vinned vehicles, secondaries re-stamped, VIN’S re-stamped and new ECM’s installed. Police recommend welding PINs or partial pin numbers somewhere on the vehicle to make it undesirable.
- For a large scale job site, it may be advisable to hire a security company.
- Consider using a secure lock kit to protect container padlocks such as offered by Ottawa Container Rentals.
If you have any other anti-theft suggestions, please forward them to Steve Turner (firstname.lastname@example.org) and we will share them with our members.